Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter

This Easter was so great.  Even though we were not in Texas celebrating it with my folks which is what I always prefer to do, it was still really really nice.  
We tried something a little different this year with my kids because I was determined for them to understand the true meaning of Easter and why we celebrate it.  I was tired of some stupid bunny getting all the credit.  So, during my Mom2Mom class at church we made something called Resurrection Eggs.  You take 12 plastic eggs, number them, and then fill them with items that you can use to help describe the events leading up to Jesus's death and His resurrection.  There is a story and versus that go along with it.  So you start opening them 12 days before Easter, one egg a day.  My kiddos loved it!  We had a few difficulties with it because they would argue and elbow each other over who gets to open the eggs, but I whipped out the wooden spoon and forced them to enjoyed it.  
What also made it great was that they had a 3 day weekend.  Ahhh, furlough days!  Bad for the teachers, good for the kiddos.  
Our church had a good Friday service that we went to.  I had all 3 kids sit with me so that my oldest ones could hopefully learn something.  The service was very intense and moving.  My #1 son payed close attention to what was going on, and he had quit a few questions.  Which was what I was hoping for.  
Saturday we went to an Easter egg hunt at our church.  There were so many people there that they only had about 1/3 of the eggs need to accommodate everyone.  When it was time for the egg hunt, my kids were told to only get 4 eggs, and that's it.  Whaaaat? I  couldn't believe it!  We waited for an hour for the hunt to start, and they only hunted for 2 minutes.  It was totally ridiculous, but they loved it.  Hopefully, it will be different next year.  Our church is so mega, that they only have to announce that they need eggs from the podium once, and their order will be filled immediately.  We have such faithful, giving people who attend our church that it's wonderful.  
Sunday, finally rolled around and we made the early service in a mad dash.  During my morning cray-cray at our house, I was able to snag these pictures of my kids in their Sunday best.



Aren't they beautiful?!

We had a fantastic and full Easter service.  All the seats in the 3000 seat auditorium were taken, and there was a lot of people sitting on the steps and breaking the fire code.  Oh well!  Tons of people came to know Jesus that day and even more were Baptized.  We then inched through the enormous crowd, made it back to our car and went home for lunch.  I had the in-laws over for some pot roast and we all watched The King's Speech which is a great movie by the way
Later on that evening we drove over to the in-law's house and had dinner and another Easter egg hunt for all the snotty nosed punk-a-roos.  They enjoyed this much more because they didn't have to fight a bunch of older kids for the goods.  All the adults played Rock Band, and I quickly realized that I suck at it.  First time was not a charm apparently.  It did give me a good laugh though.  So it was worth the humiliation.
All in all, it was a great Easter/3 day weekend.  Full of good memories, which are my most cherished things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment